Spent a full day in the shop just playing with stuff and it was very relaxing.
Started off with a new purchase that arrived while I was out of town.
The KGB Stinger47 pistol strut. It is designed for AK pistols and allows the use of a TailHook pistol brace. For those that haven’t heard the ATF now allows you to add a pistol brace without turning it into an SBR. I kept seeing Josh at Stormwerkz posting pics of his on different guns, including an AR180B. I had to snag one. Click here for info.
I have one of my pistol lowers that has been modified with two holes drilled and tapped so I didn’t need an adapter for mine.
I then decided to try out the folding mechanism I have. I was thinking I would fold it to the left like an original 180 but it blocked the safety so to the right it is.
I could not use the 180B charging handle so I swapped out the bolt carrier for one that I had modified back in the day. Stuck a Sterling charging handle in and Bob’s your uncle.
It then struck me that I have always wanted to add an original 180 ambi safety on a 180B so I fanally said “No more thinking about it, just do it.”
Took a spare safety that I sell as part of the Lower Completion Kit and broke out the tig welder. Stuck a big blob on the end then started turning and milling and filing and cutting a grove for the snap ring.
I then took it back apart and ran it through my table top park tank. The welded on section did not get as dark as I would have liked. Maybe I need to try a different filler metal next time.
I’m really happy with how it turned out even though it took me a long time.
A day in the shop is cheaper than therapy.
I also hand fitted and bagged up the last of the Lower Completion kits. If you are thinking about getting one or need the parts for spares just hit up the link at the top of the page. I am off next week and can get them shipped out right away.
If you are on Instagram give me a follow (BigRix)
I often post pics of what I am up to when I don’t have time to do a full blown blog post.
Work progresses on the AR180S Pistol Grip and I am almost happy with the result but in between test prints I do other stuff to keep my mind busy.
How about a 9mm blowback version of the AR180? Sounds like fun! I think this could be an easier way to build a 180 since bolts and carriers are hard to source. I think this bolt could be made with less sophisticated machines and from less expensive steel.
The pistol that got me thinking about this some years back , the 9mm Australian Automatic Arms SAP 9mm.
What do y’all think? AR15 magwell adapter, Slightly modified. (Shown with my long neglected square tube prototype)
3D printed prototype bolt that uses an Uzi extractor and retaining pin.
Trunion design that has the barrel entering from the rear and utilizing a press fit. Although there would be room to fit a cross pin if needed.
What I am thinking it would look like. Maybe a DOE style hang guard retainer and front sight?
Got a 9mm barrel blank from Green Mountain and a chamber reamer from MidwayUSA.
Still have some work to do on the bolt design as I discovered it would not lock the hammer onto the disconnector. I really love being able to print some stuff and test fit it before making stuff out of metal.
Project 2? Selling some stuff to finance all these projects.
I have a very limited supply of Sterling 20 round steel mags for sale. $120 each shipped with tracking. PayPal gladly excepted if you kick in a bit to cover the fees.
Other spare parts as well, just ask for my price list.
Shoot me an email through the contact form if you are interested.
Lots of modeling in Fusion 360 and I got myself a 3D printer and started building my own stuff!
Here is the one I picked up Amazon Click Here
It is the Monoprice Maker Select Plus. I’m loving it.
Some stuff I have been playing with.
AR180C front sight base.
SA80 L85A2 Airsoft bolt carrier
AR180S Hand Guard Retainer and fixture.
AR180B Upper Receiver
Took some doing and I uploaded a video of the process to the Autodesk site.
<iframe width=”640″ height=”620″ src=”https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/Timeline/99733363-7f9b-452f-ab85-a9ebd86dc028″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen></iframe>
Project SA80 L85A2
Had my daughter’s friend 3d print me some parts to mock up and it sure is easy to find your mistakes that way.
I have the firing pin retainer hole in the wrong spot as well as the charging handle. The outside dimensions are too big and the bolt carrier rubs on the inside of the upper receiver shell.
The design has been updated and I will get them printed up soon.
I also took the opportunity to model the original bolt carrier that I borrowed.
It is much slimmer than what I was building and it actually will ride on the airsoft guide rails since the holes are larger. This is where the frustrating part starts. When putting the original bolt and carrier in the gun it won’t strip rounds from the magazine. Either the original guide rails are lower in the receiver or the magazine is higher. I’m working on getting some more original parts to try in this shell and see where I am at.
I’m not giving up but I am having that nagging feeling that I might be stuck turning this into a .22LR instead of a 5.56.
Regardless of how it turns out I have learned a lot just from teaching myself Fusion 360 and from the study of these original parts.